Monday, March 14, 2011

Review -- Vampire Island by Sandra Cox

Vampire Island by Sandra Cox

Sandra Cox gives her readers a fantastic, fashionable, vampire young adult book. As the indulged only child of well-off parents, Zoe Tempest spends her time mainly worried about cute guys and being fashionably dressed. Almost overnight her life changes in a manner more intimidating than anything her seventeen years could have prepared her for. After the death of Zoe's parents, she goes to live with her uncle Julian on a remote Caribbean island. It turns out that her parents were murdered by a monster and Zoe becomes a vampire hunter and fights by her uncle's side. But don 't think that her new calling will completely change her. Zoe is still the clothes-conscious, blonde who wouldn't be caught dead with chipped nail polish. The world-building in this story was fabulous. I loved how likable the lead character was, that she remained true to herself even when confronted with unfamiliar paranormal and romantic matters. The pacing was solid as was the plot. However , it is the cast of colorful characters that make this such an unforgettable story. I can't wait for the next instalment to see what some of the supporting characters get themselves up to. The tone of this book is fabulous, keeping a lighthearted teenage voice with a smart and funny heroine. As an adult reader I have to say I completely enjoyed Uncle Julian! I can't wait to read about Zoe's future escapades. This was a fun read , providing romance, action and adventure and I highly recommend it to readers of all ages. This is a must read to those who enjoy paranormal romance and urban fantasy which thankfully has had a recent surge in popularity.

My name is Zoe Tempest. Just let me say, I had no intention of becoming a vampire hunter. My world revolved around the trendiest clothes, the boy of the week, shopping, and texting. My life was as close to perfect as a seventeen year old can get. I had everything. Then my parents were murdered and my world came crashing down.
After their funeral, I went to live with my uncle Julian Kilmer. That’s when everything changed. In a manner more terrifying than anything I could have imagined.


5 out of 5

No comments: